Transferring iMovie to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SaltyDog, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SaltyDog macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

Summary: I'm trying to move video event files from iMovie to an external hard drive.

I was able to do this by opening iMovie, connecting the external hard drive, then dragging the files within iMovie to the external hard drive (detected within iMovie). I did this by highlighting the events, then dragging them while simultaneously holding down the command key (for some of the files).

The problem: I forgot to hold the command key while dragging a few of these event files over, so my Mac is keeping a backup of some of them on my internal hard drive.

My question: How do I permanently move all the files to my external drive for the ones I forgot to hold the command key down while transferring, and how do I do that so if I access the files on my external drive, they won't need to reference my internal drive?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Make sure to copy your entire iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders to your external drive. No need to move the files around inside those folders, just move both of them over entirely. Verify that they open from your external drive and are functional using iMovie, then you can delete from your internal.

3. SaltyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. So I could do that within Finder, no need to do it through iMovie, right?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes. You'll find the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders in your Home Folder>Movies.

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I do this all the time. Copy both iMovie project and event folders to the root of an external hard drive. When you re-launch iMovie, it will pick it up. Using an external HD, this is how I share it with another computer.