Transferring information @ Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. JDR macrumors regular

Hello all,

This is my first post here at Mac Rumors. I've been a Mac user since 2005, and have had an iBook G4 (14inch) since then. Although I've had hardware problems in the past (2 failed logic boards and other faulty parts), I love OSX and I'm looking to upgrade to the new MBP when it comes out in the next few days/weeks/months or whenever. I just can't take my iBook's now 20 minute battery life :( .

I do have a quick question regarding transferring my current computer's information over to it. I have about 44GB of total information on my hard drive, but I only want my iPhoto pictures (8,158 pictures/videos) and my iTunes music (360 songs) transfered to the new computer. I know that the Apple Store has a complementary transfer service when you buy a new computer, but I'm wondering if you can specify what info you want transfered and what info you want omitted.

Most thanks,
    JDR

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you are able to specify what you want-- whether it is all your music, mail, pics, movies, etc...or just one thing--

3. JDR thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought of another question:

I'll probably be walking out of the Apple Store with the new MBP, and I don't exactly want to open it at the Genius Bar. So, could I:

1. Begin to set up the computer at home, and then come back to the Apple Store a day or two later and be able to have them transfer my music and photos.

or

2. When I first turn on the computer at home and get that transfer screen, do the transfer myself? Is it pretty straightforward? Do I need a special cord?

This is actually my second iBook--my first was defected and when I transfered the info I had on it to the one I have now, I remember waiting at the Apple Store for an hour and a half...I would rather do that in the comfort of my own home...if you can see what I mean.

Thanks,
    JDR

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Just get a Firewire cable and use Migration Assistant at home - it's stupid simple.

You're probably better off transferring everything and then cleaning up afterwards; there's no real good way to selectively transfer based on criteria that the data wasn't organized in anticipation of. Either that, or clean up the data first, then execute the transfer.

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you can bring it back at a later date if you would like- some stores say within two weeks and it will still be complimentary...after that i think there is a fee--

simple to do transfer yourself-- connect the two computers with firewire cable; turn on old computer in target disk mode and drag and drop to new computer...pretty basic and i am sure there is a more detailed guide somewhere inn this forum

6. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

7. JDR thread starter macrumors regular

Can the computer be configured, or does it have to be on its first power-up?

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

cs-- thank you for clarifying

JDR- it does not have to be unopened...it can be configured and they will do the transfer