Transferring iPad Data Package

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RobbieBott, Mar 10, 2012.

1. RobbieBott, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

RobbieBott macrumors newbie

I ordered a "new iPad" (or 3rd Gen.) but I am a lucky one that still has an unlimited data package, from my first generation iPad. When I purchased my iPad 2 all I did was transfer my sim card over to the new iPad, data package transferred, simple solution. However with the new iPad it requires a 4G/LTE sim card (to tell if you have a 4G/LTE sim the 9th digit is a "2" and 10th digit is a "5" on the card if they are not it is a regular 3G card and may cause you some reception problems it the 3rd Gen. iPad) to operate properly, so I was left with a dilemma, I went to AT&T to get a new sim card (so I could put it in my new iPad when it arrives to have my data package, simply like I did when I switched from my 1st Gen to the 2nd Gen.) they said they didn't know how to give me another sim card and maintain my unlimited data. So for the sake or research I purchased a blank new 4G/LTE sim card from AT&T ($27.00 thank you come again). Went home started looking at all my options on my AT&T iPad Online Account Management and on the iPad in the Data Connection area in Settings, when I noticed this screen, (I had seen it several times but never read the actual information on it, just entered my email addy and password) which simply states, "You can transfer your existing iPad service to your new device simply by logging in below." Well problem solved (I sure felt like an idiot the AT&T reps should feel even more so) my data package is now transferred to my new 4G/LTE sim card. Someone might have the same question and never realized this screen before so I figured I would pass it along.
    FYI: Don't go out and buy a new 4G/LTE sim the new iPad should come preloaded with one. Just simply sign into your account and it will transfer everything it needs. This works for AT&T, I am not sure how Verizon's data managment works, so I cannot offer any advise.
    Photo 0.jpeg

2. TomH TX macrumors regular

Thank you for posting that. I had been wondering about that very same thing.

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Thanks!!! i was also wondering the same thing. Are you going to restore from backup or start as new?

4. RobbieBott thread starter macrumors newbie

Backup or New

I will be restoring from a backup I have to much App data to be lost that I need to maintain. However it really depends if i feel like spending the time and getting everything back the way I like it, if thats the case then I might start new but as of now doing a restore.