Transferring iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbro1096, Feb 2, 2011.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Well, when the iPhone 5 comes out I'm going to be ordering it, so I will pass my iPhone 4 down to my mom. My mom currently has my old iPhone 3GS so how would we be able to transfer contacts over and everything else? Additional information is that I will be using my younger sisters upgrade to get the iPhone 5 so is there any extra steps I will need to change everything over to the different iPhones. Also, do you think Apple will be able to release the white iPhone 5 along with the black version? Thank you for your time and help.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

There is nothing to transfer over between your mom and you. Just reset you iPhone 4 to factory then she will have to go to ATT and get a new SIM for it since it is a mini SIM compared to the regular SIM in the 3gs. If they were the same SIM you would just swap them out. ATT will deactivate the 3gs SIM and activate the new mini SIM on her account. There is no new contract to sign.

You can do an upgrade swap with your sister. You will just need to bring your sisters phone in to ATT so they can give it a new SIM. The way it works is they first activate the new phone on her account (which deactivates the current SIM in her phone) then they do a SIM swap to your account. After then they will need to issue a new SIM to your sisters phone.

If the rumors are true about the white one coming out for the iPhone 4 soon there is no doubt they will release one for the iPhone 5 too.

3. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much! You confused me a little. When I got my iPhone 4 I used my dads upgrade and all I did was sync it with the computer and it worked. I was assuming the same with the iP5 but I was wondering. Anyways thank you very much!!!