Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray Little

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Old 5 backed up to old computer. New 6s won't talk to old iTunes, New iTunes won't talk to old system on old computer. Dragged backup from iTunes, copied to flash drive. Can I connect flash drive to newer computer, drag backup to desktop, open iTunes, drag backup to backups in new iTunes, backup 6s to that iTunes, back up 6s to iCloud, delete backup from iTunes. Since this is data not system talking to system, would this cause problems for the newer computer or the new iPhone?

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Can I connect flash drive to newer computer, drag backup to desktop, open iTunes, drag backup to backups in new iTunes, backup 6s to that iTunes, back up 6s to iCloud, delete backup from iTunes.

Do you mean to restore the 5 backup to the 6s? The way you have it worded, you'd only be transferring the backup to the new computer. In any case, it's possible. Don't remember if iOS will pull app files from the cloud during an iTunes restore. If not, you'll have to have them on the new machine in order for them to transfer to the new phone.

Do you no longer have the 5? You could just back it up to the new computer.

Ray Little

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
the 5 was erased when I got the 6s. I have redownloaded apps. Calendar, photos and music are stuck in the backup. If I can upload the old backup to a newer computer I can backup the 6s to that, then backup 6s to iCloud and then delete backup from computer, and just be a denizen of the cloud.

Reactions: 3568358

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
As long as your transferred backup folder is in the correct location, iTunes will detect it and make it available to restore. If you haven't set up the new phone, it will prompt you to restore from an existing backup.

Ray Little

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Thanks! The not so genius bar suggested to buy an external hard drive, back up the whole old computer, buy a new computer, upload old computer to new computer, restore new phone to new computer. Seemed a little bit of overkill.

Reactions: 3568358

Ray Little

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Originally, 5 was stalling backing up to old computer running 10.6.8, tried backing up 5 to cloud on my network, still stalled halfway through 4 times, stayed stalling overnight, went to genius bar, they tried their network 4 times, said go home back up to computer, I have reservations but it said it backed up, get new 6s, trade in old 5, erase old 5, new 6s says I won't talk to old iTunes 11.4, new Itunes 12.3.1 won't talk to old system, take old computer to genius bar, they say it and myself are boat anchors, should be junked, say I should buy external hard drive, back up entire old computer, buy new computer, upload old computer to new computer, backup 6s to new computer, then backup to cloud, then praise Apple. I decided to try to merely transfer the only existing backup of my music, photos and calendar to flash drive and try to merely move that. Is there a backdoor way to access my calendar, photos and music without the old backup? I downloaded the apps through purchased on the App store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.