Transferring iPhoto library from Tiger/iPhoto 5 to SL/iPhoto '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Surely, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I am transferring info from an iBook G4 running Tiger to a MacBook running Snow Leopard. Everything is going well, except for my ability to transfer the iPhoto library.

I have mounted the iBook to the MacBook via Firewire.

When I transferred my iPhoto library from my MB to my new MBP, it was easy: all I had to do was drag over "iPhoto Library" from User>Pictures>iPhoto Library

But it isn't set up the same way on the iBook: in User>Pictures, "iPhoto Library" is a folder instead of a small iPhoto icon (which you would need to right-click on to see its contents). When I copied the contents of the folder into "iPhoto Library" on the new MacBook, it didn't maintain all of the organization (eg. the albums).

Is there any way to do this so that iPhoto will keep the organization of the photo library on the new MacBook, or am I destined to reorganize my thousands of photos into albums again?

Please keep in mind that the MacBook is being set up as a new computer, and I am copying over the files/docs/music/photos that she wants to keep from the iBook. I am not using Migration Assistant.

2. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Stupid Apple and their stupid iPad announcement.....no one responding to my thread...... I hate you Apple!!!:p;)

3. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Is my only solution to copy over all of my photos from my iPhoto Library folder and to recreate all of my albums again?

I'm dealing with thousands of photos, so that will take hours.....

4. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Well, I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow afternoon.

I'll post the solution for all who are interested.

Based on the number of replies in this thread, I'm sure everyone can't wait for tomorrow......

5. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Everyone excited to hear how things turned out?!?!?

Well, 70 people viewed the thread, so maybe someone is at least interested in knowing how to deal with this issue. Plus, for the sake of a future search, a solution would be helpful.

It was actually quite simple: We started by putting the iBook in target mode and connecting it to the MacBook via Firewire.

The Genius simply dragged "iPhoto Library" out of the MacBook's "Pictures" folder and trashed it. He then dragged the "iPhoto Library" folder from the iBook's "Pictures" folder into the "Pictures" folder on the MacBook. A warning came up that the photo library needed to be upgraded to '08 (or something along those lines), he hit 'OK', and it copied over and became the "iPhoto Library" with the small iPhoto icon instead of the folder. Quick and easy. When we opened up iPhoto, all of the albums were there as they should be.

The Genius was very proud that he was able to figure something out that AppleCare couldn't figure out. If it matters, the Genius Bar that I went to was at the Apple Store at The Grove.

While I was waiting for the photos to copy over, the Genius helped the next person, and it happened to be Tony Shalhoub (from the TV show Monk). He was there to get a new battery for his Black MacBook. Nice guy. I saw him a couple months ago at Joan's On Third.....

Hopefully this helps someone......:cool:

6. michelle quance macrumors newbie

iphoto library to gdrive problems

Hello,
    I recently transferred my entire iphoto library to a gdrive. I then began to clear my original iphoto library. When I went back to the gdrive I noticed that I cannot view the transferred photos in iphoto on the gdrive.

Can anyone help. I have back up on DVDS so I am not worried about the images but I would really like the gdrive to save the entire iphoto library and not reflect changes made on my macbook pro???

Thanks,
    Michelle