Transferring iPhoto library to EH

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiffy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. skiffy macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything.

Having fixed my MacBook Pro today (with your help), I'm now wanting some advice on the best way to transfer my iPhoto library onto my external hard drive? I read online that picking up the library and dropping it into the external hard drive folder is the best way. Is this correct?

I've put iPhoto on my desktop and picked it up and dropped it into my EH folder. Will this work?

My plan is to delete my library off my MacBook if it's worked as it's taking up massive amounts of space on my mac.

Thanks!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

1. Yes you are correct : move the iPhoto Library to the external and you are done.
    WARNING : this will only work fine if your originals are in the iPhoto Library = in iPhoto Preferences, the box "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" is checked.

2. What do you mean ? The iPhoto application ?
    You do not need to move the application to the external hard drive.
    After you have moved the Library to the external, launch iPhoto with the Alt key depressed, and navigate to the Library located on the external.
    You will have to do this only one time, iPhoto will "memorize" the location.

3. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You're welcome.

Don't forget to backup your iPhoto Library....

Also remember that you can have as many Libraries as you want : you can have a large Library on the external hard drive, and another one on the internal HD if you wish.

5. skiffy thread starter macrumors newbie