Transferring iTunes and iPhone from XP to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ash9414, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

First of all, yes, I have searched through the forums (and various other places) but there's a specific answer that I'm looking for.

I read this:

And what I want to know is, once I've copied those three folders mentioned in the quote, where do I transfer them to on the Mac?

If any more information is needed, please ask, and thanks for your help.

2. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

Ok...so there's actually an easier way to transfer your iTunes library from your PC running WinXp to your Mac. Home Sharing in iTunes. But since you already did all that work, you can just drag your folder containing all your music onto the iTunes icon and iTunes on your Mac will build your library. OR...you can copy it to your iTunes media folder which is typically /Users/<youruser>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music but then you would need to add that folder to your library, so dragging your folder containing all your music onto the iTunes icon would probably be easier.

Hope that helps.

3. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

But that won't copy over my iPhone backups/syncs etc as well?

4. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

No it won't. But, let's look at what you're trying to ultimately accomplish. The backup retains all your contacts, calendars, notes, text messages and photos and other data on your iPhone. When you transfer all your iTunes content to your Mac, and you sync, this will create a backup on your Mac of your iPhone, and the backup file will now exist on your Mac.

5. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went ahead and went through a similar process before I saw your post. Basically, I copied over the whole iTunes folder and put it in the Music folder, started iTunes (it was all there), authorized my Mac, copied the backups from my PC to the right location on my Mac, then synced and it didn't even recognise it was on a different computer. :D

6. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

7. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. :)