Transferring iTunes App Store purchased apps to another Mac

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Macman756, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Hey,

I bought an app on my main computer (which I use to sync my iPhone) and want it on my laptop, I think I can copy the app to a flash drive and copy it over, or sync my iPhone on there, but it only has 1.1 which is slow as balls. My question is, Can I log into my itunes account on my laptop, go to the app store link, click buy and have it re-download it again free of charge? Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, you should be able to redownload the apps, for no extra charge. Or just copy the Mobile Apps folder from one computer to the other, then drag the contents into iTunes on that computer.

TEG

3. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

+1 what TEG wrote.

I copied some apps from my laptop to my desktop which is my main set up for syncing. After dragging them into iTunes they worked fine. Both computers ae authorized under the same account.

4. B master macrumors newbie

5. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

the method I used to copy apps on my iPhone to my MacBook after beer trashed my laptop, on which I had my iTunes acc setup on, was to plug the iPhone into the MacBook and once iTunes had finished mounting it, right click on the iPhone icon and select "copy purchases". All apps transferred to new MacBook.

6. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

Same way as transferring music

It's simple to transfer apps, it's the exact same method as transferring music.

Just backup your entire iTunes library (or just the apps) to a external device, such as CD or DVD, or flash drive.

Then, de-authorize the apps from your existing computers. Note that this will also de-authorize the music as well.

Now, copy the apps onto your new mac. Then, authorize the iTunes purchases so they would work on this mac.

7. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Sorry to hijack, but...

So is it possible to transfer my apps to my girlfriends computer and then let her upload my apps to her iPhone?

8. B master macrumors newbie

Yes but...

She must be on the same account as you and you have to authorize her computer first.

9. atomheartmother macrumors regular

I can't just transfer them to her computer and type in my name/password when prompted and be done with it?