Transferring iTunes between Windows computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nath77736, Jul 9, 2008.

1. nath77736 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have my iTunes on a desktop computer which is on its last legs - I'm having issues with the power supply. I therefore need to transfer that iTunes to my laptop but having searched the Apple Support section cant find anyway to do that without using my network connections and having both machines running (which isnt possible as my desktop wont run for more than a couple of minutes without shutting down.)

Is there any solution to this or do I need to fix my desktop which seems pointless as I'm moving everything to Mac in a couple of months.

Thanks

Nath

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If the computer won't run for more than a couple minutes, you're not going to be able to copy data over without removing the hard drive.

Get a cheap USB housing for the hard drive in your faulty desktop machine. Remove the drive from the computer and fit it to the USB housing. Plug housing into laptop and copy iTunes data directory over. Job done.

3. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Exactly what he said. The external hard drive thingy he's talking about will set you back about $15. The one I got for a laptop hard drive involved about 10 seconds of "installation." You just plug one end into the hard drive's interface (if it's old, it's probably PATA, so make sure you get one that does that) and then put the casing around it. Plug up via USB. Zing, done.

I could also recommend replacing the power supply. Those things are pretty cheap for PCs (less than $50) unless you need one that's more than about 350 watts, which you probably don't.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If both machines have a dvd reader/writer why not use iTunes to "Backup to Disk". It will prompt you for dvd's... and you can then move your song library to any machine you want that has iTunes on it.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Another good idea except for the power issue. If the power supply is going bad, the DVD-writing process won't help anything. I also heard that Steve Jobs kills a kitten if you use an optical disc to do anything aside from look at your reflection. :)