transferring iTunes from an old iBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xenolite, Jul 21, 2010.

1. xenolite macrumors newbie

I have an old iBook G4 running 10.3.9 and iTunes 7.6.2. I'm trying to transfer my iTunes library from that computer to my new MacBook Pro running 10.6.3 and iTunes 9.2.

I moved all the music to an external hard drive and imported it into the library on the MacBook Pro. But now I'm having trouble figuring out how to transfer playlists, play counts, date added, etc.

All of the instructions I've been able to find assume that you have a more up to date version of iTunes than is on my iBook G4. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Jolst macrumors newbie

I don't quiet remember how iTunes 7 worked, but I imagine that it didn't change all that much. Try looking for the iTunes folder in ~/Music and see if you can find an "iTunes Library"-file, that's the main iTunes library file. Try transferring that to your new Mac (place it in the same location ~/Music/iTunes) and launch iTunes to check if it works.

I'm not sure this will work, since you're working with 2 different versions of iTunes, but it's worth a try. Also, make sure to make a back-up so you don't lose any of your music or metadata.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe that you could move your entire complete iTunes folder from the iBook to the MacBook Pro. The default location should be:

YourUserName/Music/iTunes

Just take the iTunes folder from that location on the iBook and put it in that location on the MacBook Pro. I believe that when you start up iTunes on the MacBook Pro that it will convert the library, etc. and you should be good to go.

Just in case to be safe, I'd leave a copy on the iBook until you know that it will work on the MacBook Pro.

4. xenolite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much. Replacing the iTunes Library file was all I needed to do. I knew the solution was simple. Thanks again.