Transferring iTunes library & app data from XP to OS Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daniirwan, Sep 25, 2011.

1. daniirwan macrumors member

Hi all. Just bought my 1st ever iMac several days ago. Switched from a 5 year old PC running XP and love the Mac now, especially the 27" screen :) My mac came with 10.6.6 but I upgraded to Lion immediately.

However, like a lot of other people it seems, I'm running into trouble syncing my iPhone with my new Mac. Previously my iPhone was synced with my old PC. Silly of me I forgot to backup my itunes data before storing away my PC, and went ahead and plugged my iPhone into the mac. First barrier was the syncing of apps, it wont let me without erasing all apps & data on my iphone. I backed off & googled the problem, unfortunately no one has my exact same situation, e.g transferring itunes app library from XP to Lion.

To make a long story short, I managed to copy the my music\itunes folder, mobilesync\backup folder & itunes folder from the PC. Now where do I transfer these folders to exactly in Lion? And how do I get there? Should I backup my current library first (I've done transfer purchases from my iphone to mac) before copying over the old library? Will this method keep app data (saved games, etc) intact on my iphone?

Any help much appreciated, thank you.

-Dani

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Right. You copied the folders off the PC... so there should be a folder called iTunes inside Home -> Music on your Mac. If not, create one, and put the stuff you copied in there.

3. daniirwan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. I'll look into it once I get home.

Shouldn't there already be an itunes folder on my mac? Kinda iffy about creating a new folder. Is the Home\music folder in the Library?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, there will be, if you've launched iTunes on that Mac at least once. What do you mean, in the Library? It is unclear to me whether you are talking about the Home -> Library folder or iTunes' Library system.

In any case, though... it's a simple matter. If you copied the ENTIRE iTunes folder on your PC (which is the way this transfer job should be done, assuming you consolidated your library first) just drag and drop it into Home -> Music, overwriting any folder that's there already. Make sure iTunes is NOT running when you do this.

5. daniirwan thread starter macrumors member