Transferring iTunes library from a Mac to a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eVolcre, Sep 15, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Looks like I'm going to have to use a work supplied PC for my next contract. There's no way around it. How do I go about transferring my iTunes library (40GB music, 100GB movies) onto the new machine?

I don't have a large iPod so ipod.itunes is out.

Any ideas?

eV

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sorry to hear that you're being forced to use a PC. :(

After downloading iTunes on your PC, open it up so that it will create a new library. Obviously, there won’t be anything in it -- yet. Now, the easiest way to move it would be to take your iTunes folder out of your "Music" folder on your Mac, and put it in the Music folder of your PC. Open up iTunes, and it'll recognize your Library.

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm sorry too :( DOD regulations and this time I couldn't use my own laptop. I have to authenticate the machine every time I log on.

How do I transfer a 40GB Music folder between computers though? Is there a way to connect both the laptops with a wire?

My machine is a 17" MBP and the new one is going to be a Dell something or the other. The second I read 'Dell', I didn't even bother looking at the size or model number ...

eV

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Ziggy,

I thought of using a wireless network - adhoc mode - but it's going to be very slow. Any other way of connecting the two machines? Would an ethernet cable do the trick?

eV

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

USB drive? (Formatted with some appropriate filesystem type, like NTFS.)

Or you could burn it onto a CD I suppose.

6. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

100 Gigs on a CD mate?

Actually, I like the USB drive option. I have a 250 cloned drive lying around, I can reformat it, use it for the transfer and re clone it back.

What format should I use that will be readable by both Windows and OSX?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Oh, yeah. What am I thinking?

FAT32. NTFS, it turns out, can only be read and not written by OS X. If you format it under OS X with Disk Utility, you would just choose the MS-DOS (FAT) option.