Transferring iTunes library from PC to Mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MXChristian11, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

Hello, I am going to be making "the switch" sometime this week and had a question. I am a dreaded Vista user with a large itunes library and I need to know how to transfer my whole library from my PC to my new MacBook. I would llike to transfer files over my Wi-fi connection if possibe (instructions needed). If not, possibly storing it on my network, and accessing it on my MacBook then copy. I have no clue on how to do this, and I don't even know what I just stated is possible. Please let me know what you did and what I can do. I appreciate your help in advance.

Oh, and BTW, I can NOT wait ANY LONGER for my MacBook to arrive, ahhh I am so excited. My first Mac!!

Thanks-Christian

2. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

Transferring over Wi-Fi is certainly possible, just set up your Mac so it can be viewed over your home network by the other PC.

To do this, simply go to System Preferences>Sharing and then on the left space select "File Sharing" (make sure the check mark says it's on). Then, on the bottom right of the window, select "Options...". On that new window select "Share files and folders using SMB" and finally select the check mark for your account to turn it on (it will ask for that user's password to confirm).

Afterwards, you should be able to see your Mac on your Vista computer in "Network" (it should be right there in the start menu). If you don't see the Mac in that window, then select the tab that says "Workgroup", it should be there.

You can log-in as guest and dump your music files in the "Drop Box" (located in Users/[your username]/Public) or you can log-in as your username and dump them anywhere you want to being transferring them. Once you have it on your Mac, you can share the iTunes Library with anyone within your network simply by enabling the sharing option in iTunes. When iTunes on your Mac is on, you should be able to see it on your iTunes in Vista.

I found this guide with some pictures, it's pretty much the same thing I said (you don't have to do Step 6):

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/42765-how-share-files-between-mac-os-x-leopard-vista.html