Transferring iTunes Library Only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Steve(NotJobs), Mar 16, 2008.

1. Steve(NotJobs) macrumors newbie

Okay, so I'm getting ready for the arrival of a new MacBook within the next two months (excited, much?).
    I'm currently using an iBook G4, and as a teenager who didn't fully utilize his first Mac until it was too late (slow, etc), I'm really only interested in transferring my iTunes collection to the new MacBook.
    I have 5000 tracks.What's the quickest/safest/easiest method of transferring these?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

To preserve everything, boot your old mac in target disk mode then connect it to your old mac using a firewire cable. Once it shows up, follow these instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

If it's just music and you don't care if you lose playlists and tags, you can just copy them over and drop them into your new iTunes library.

3. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

PC to Mac

Not to Hijack the thread but i need to do the same thing once i get my new imac but this time from a PC.

Is this possible? The only thing i need to transfer is my music because i really do not want to rip all my disks again. (oh and the DVD burner on the PC is broke otherwise i would just transfer to that and rip into the mac from there.)

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just transfer over the whole iTunes folder in My Music. the iTunes library structure is the same in Windows as in Mac OS X. this is assuming you copy all your songs to the iTunes when you add them.