Transferring itunes library onto OSX and mp3 tagging

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Totty1987, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm about to crack open my macbook pro and I'd like to know if my "windows created" itunes library will work in osx.

Is it possible to tag mp3 files the same way as in windows, when you right click on the file and select properties or do I have to download a program to do this.

thanx in advance

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Yeah, you can do it all within iTunes. Use CMD+I to bring up the properties box faster.

3. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there no way of me editing mp3's outside of itunes?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you want to? iTunes is very effective for not only playing your music, but also managing tags.

5. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I may choose to use another music software application other than itunes.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You haven't given a reason not to use iTunes. Barring that, iTunes is the best recommendation. If you want to use something else for no reason, go for it!

7. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I have a 50gb mp3 album collection, but I also have an itunes library as well. Before placing the music from my archived collection into itunes, I normally edit the id3 tag.

I'd prefer to edit the id3 tags outside of itunes and then drag and drop the tracks into itunes. This is what I've been doing in Windows for years and I'd like to hopefully continue this method in osx.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My iTunes library is probably average in size... just over 170GB in size. I find that editing and managing tags within iTunes is significantly easier than other methods. You can either learn a new method, or try to replicate your Windows workflow. I'd highly recommend giving yourself a chance to learn how to do things the "Mac way", as you'll find it's frequently much easier than the "Windows way". I had to make this transition when I moved to Mac about 4 years ago, but now I find I'm far more productive and efficient than I ever was on Windows.

9. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't access iTunes library from external hard drive

I've just plugged in my western digital external hard drive, but I'm unable to access my iTunes library.

I've tried changing the path in preferences, but to no avail. I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanx in advance

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you put your iTunes library on the external drive, or just the music files?

11. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Everything's is on the hard drive, the xml and itl files as well as the actual music files

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So what happens when you open iTunes and select the library on the external drive?

13. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing appears. Just a blank white screen giving me the option to download music, import CDs or Find music files

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you didn't move the right library files to the external drive. Have you tried opening the same library from your Windows computer?

15. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it opens and works fine on my windows pc

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And you're absolutely certain you've opened the library file on the external drive, and not another library that you have stored on your Windows internal drive? How exactly did you launch iTunes and select that library?

17. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I've opened up preferences in iTunes and selected the folder, where my music is located on the external.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

19. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Silly me, you're right. I selected the itl file in my iTunes music folder and my music has now shown up.

Thank you so much for your help. :D

Just one last thing. Are there any good id3 taggers available for the mac, as I'm not too thrilled about editing my mp3 albums in iTunes.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of any. Can you explain your reluctance to use iTunes for that? It's really quite efficient.

21. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I prefer to edit my mp3 files outside of iTunes as it allows me to use them in other music program's with the edited id3 tag intact. I hope this makes sense.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I thought that might be your assumption, but it's wrong. When you edit metadata with iTunes, it changes the tag in the file itself, and follows the file wherever it goes.

23. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanx for the help

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios