Transferring iTunes Library to new MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MitchellMck, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MitchellMck macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I got a brand new MacBook Pro last week and I'm finding it pretty slow. I don't think I'm getting the best out of it so I've decided I'm going to do a fresh install of Lion and transfer the stuff I need manually via an external hard drive. But I think I'm going to run in to a problem, when I'm transferring my iTunes Library (both music and iOS apps) to the new install, will I need to totally wipe my iPhone and iPad in order for it to be able to sync with the new iTunes Library? Many thanks if anyone can help.

2. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that will help me get all the files sorted out. But have you any idea if I will be able to sync my iPhone to the new library without it having to erase and sync?

3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you should be able to do that. I did the same thing when I bought my MBP a couple of months ago. I think that your iPhone (in my case iPod Touch) is paired with the iTunes Library, not with the computer. So long as you copy over the original library along with all of the music, etc, you should have no problems.

4. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Ahh thanks, good to know someone has had success with it. I'll give it a go, if it doesn't work I can easily restore my old library and files via Time Machine and try something else from there. Thanks!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just use migration assistant. Everything will work, including the syncing.

6. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

If I was to use that would I need to transfer EVERYTHING over or can I select only certain things?

7. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

You do get to choose, but you are somewhat limited.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

Alternatively, assuming you haven't done anything in iTunes on the new computer, you can delete the entire iTunes folder within the Music folder under your user account. Then copy over the entire iTunes folder from your old Mac, and everything should be exactly as it was (it may take a few minutes to go through the info, once you first open it).

8. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Just had a look through Migration Assistant there and you certainly are limited as I can not define any further than the user account itself. Think I'll go for the second option and copy the entire iTunes folder over to the fresh install. Would the new library still be able to sync with my iPhone without erasing the device?

9. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Yep, it should work just fine. I would just check and make sure your settings are correct before doing the initial sync on the new computer.

10. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

I'll try it soon and hope the iDevices match with the library and sync without any problems. Many thanks!

11. Bigmacduck macrumors regular