transferring itunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spacka, May 9, 2008.

1. spacka macrumors member

ok so ive got a brand new mac which i intend to make my primary computer in the house.

on my PC i had my itunes library with all of my songs in my eternal hard drive. i remember back when i first moved all of my songs to the eternal HD i opened the Itunes Library XML file in notepad and did a simple find and replace:

for example - C:\documents and settings\user\spacka\my documents\my music

was replaced with...

D:\my music

this worked perfectly. however, i know the mac directory structures and language seems different and i was wondering how (if possible) could i do this with my old windows library and use it on my mac as all of my files are still on the external HD.

cheers.

2. spacka thread starter macrumors member

3. spooky mulder macrumors regular

do you want to keep library on windows HD and also move music to new Mac? I'm a little confused..

4. spacka thread starter macrumors member

yeah sorry for the confusion.

all of my music is still on the external HD, yes. but it is now plugged into my imac, but obviously i can't just copy the itunes library xml file because it contains paths such as "D:\my music\" and obviously the mac wont recognise those locations.

5. spacka thread starter macrumors member

and i know it would have been easier to just add everything from my music folder into itunes but i dont want to do that. theres plenty of music i dont want in and it would take too long to go through it all.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes you can just copy the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library files to the new computer. Then just open iTunes and under EDIT: PREFERANCES: then ADVANCED tab hit the CHANGE button and locate your music network path. It will then need to ORGINIZE or SORT (I believe) so just hit OK and this will take some time but after it is through all play list, counts, and play dates will be as they were and it will see the music on your network the same as it did before.

EDIT: Important, DON'T try to play, copy or locate music from either computer (close iTunes on the "old" computer") before the entire process is complete.