Transferring iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macman4789, Jun 1, 2009.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Sorry if it's an easy question but I want to make sure I'm doing it right so I dont loose my library!

I've got a new mac and I want to transfer my library from my old mac. Is it just a case of copying the iTunes music folder onto an external drive and then pasting them into the new mac?

Thanks

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Yes is should be that easy. I have done it a couple of times. Go to your iTunes folder on your Mac and delete the folders in there. Then just paste the same folders that you copied from your PC. When you launch iTunes it should read everything like it as always been there. It worked for me anyway...

Good luck!
    -JC-

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Remember to copy the whole itunes folder with all it's contents, not just the music folder.

4. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Yessle macrumors newbie

When doing this, does the new Mac or iTunes reconize iPods & iPhone from the old Mac or iTunes? Will I loose all info on my iPhone, iPod?

If so, how can I not start all over? With my iPhone I have lots of Apps and lots of info in those apps... I can not loose that!!!
    Please help, thanks in advance!
    Yessle

6. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yessle,

Im relatively certain that if your go into user/library and search for preferences for itunes normally a .plist file and copy those across as well, then you should be able to get your ipod across as wel.. but dont quote me on it, i havent ever needed to try!!

Hope that helps

PTP

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Should be fine. I copied my entire library from PC to Mac and my iPhone synced quite happily from the Mac afterwards without any problems.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

An easier way is simply move the entire iTunes folder where you want then hold down alt when opening iTunes and it will ask which library to use. Navigate to the new location of your library click ok and your done. No need to change anything or mess with individual files.

You can also have multiple libraries using this technique. It works on iPhoto too.