transferring iTunes purchases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chaseardoin7, Jan 14, 2008.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

okay, so if steve announces a macbook air tomorrow during his keynote, i'll definitely be buying one. my question is that i'll be getting rid of my current macbook and i have $700+ of music and music videos in it. is there a way to transfer these to the new mac?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Deauthorize old computer
    2. Copy ~/Music
    3. Paste ~/Music onto the new Mac
    4. Authorize new computer

Or use Migration Assistant if you have the current MacBook when you get the new one.

3. kkrogers macrumors newbie

Can you give a little more detail. I have a bunch of music on my windows laptop and just bought an imac. I am totally new to apple, so this is proving to be difficult to me! How do you copy the music? Also, if I deauthorize that laptop, can I reauthorize it after moving the music?

Thanks,
    Kan

4. scr1968 macrumors regular

Your best bet is to copy your iTunes library to an external hard drive on your Windows machine and then take that same hard drive and connect it to your Mac and copy the files to your Mac. It is actually a very easy process. There are a bunch of different ways to do this. Here is one of them...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

If you are going to de-authorize your laptop just to turn around and reauthorize your laptop then there is no need to do it in the first place. "A" account can have up to five authorize computers. So this means if you buy a song off of iTunes you can have up to 5 machine authorize to play it. When you want to have it play on a 6th machine you would need to remove one of the other five.

SR

5. kkrogers macrumors newbie

Thank you, I will try that tonight at home. I have lots to learn about the whole mac system!!

Kan