Transferring iTunes To New UMBP via Migration Assistant???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BG-Mac, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I just used Migration Assistant to transfer my iTunes library from my old Blackbook to my new 17" UMBP however it is not showing up in iTunes. There's probably a very obvious solution, but for some reason I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.. :):apple:

2. thegilly macrumors member

Go into iTunes preferences--Advanced, and see where iTunes thinks your library lives. If this doesn't match where the Finder thinks your library has been put by Migration Assistant, let iTunes know where it should be looking. You are sure that MA did successfully move all your music?

3. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have some music and movies on my new MBP so should I just import the entire old library folder into iTunes? Will this essentially combine the two libraries?

4. foshizzle macrumors regular

close iTunes on the new machine, hold the option key on your keyboard, click iTunes to open it, you'll be greeted with a dialog asking to choose or create a library, click choose. Navigate to the folder of your itunes library, click the itunes library file (under the iTunes library folder) and you'll be good to go.

5. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright so I got everything imported into my new library, but I lost all of my play count info, my playlists, and my interactive/digital booklets!! Any idea how to get these bacK?

(EDIT) Also, the 2 digital booklets that did transfer are showing up in the movie section?! Not sure how that happened...

6. foshizzle macrumors regular

pull the books out of the library (onto your deskotop) then drag them into itunes (the program, not the folder). They'll then add back to the library. As long as you have it setup to copy all files to your iTunes folder, then you can delete these files. just be sure they are in your movies folder again.

7. carlys macrumors newbie

saving the chosen itunes library?!?!?

i used this information yesterday when changing over from my imac to a macbook. after using the migration assistant to transfer all of my stuff over i found that my itunes were not showing up on my login account created for the new computer, but if i logged into my old name (on the new comp) they were all there. i used the tip of choosing the library and selected the itunes library from my old user account. the problem that i am having now is that whenever i shut down or restart the computer i have to once again select the itunes library...is there a way to select it once and keep it there or will i have to choose the library everytime i turn on my computer?
    hope that i explained that clearly enough for some help!!!