Transferring iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DerekRod, Nov 29, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Okie Dokie I just got a 2012 MacBook Pro wanna transfer my iTunes Library from my old Blackbook if I transfer the iTunes folder to the new Mac everything will be there?As in my playlists apps,tones,etc?

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: transferring iTunes Libraries...

Hi,

Of course, I assume we are talking about the same version of iTunes here, then just copying or moving the iTunes Library (which automatically copies or moves all of its subdirectories) and opening the newly copied or moved library on your new MBP will work fine. Assuming, once more, that you have the necessary permissions setup appropriately. As far as iTunes purchases, then you will also need to use the same Apple ID on the new MBP as you used to purchase the iTunes music on your older machine.

It is possible, if you ever copied music/video from one iTunes Library to another one, that you just added pointers to the originals and did not make actual copies in the receiving library -- then in this case your iTunes Library may not actually contain all of your music/video, but I think this is an unlikely scenario.

Good luck,
    Switon

3. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Well its almost done transferring the folder will see how well it goes