transferring itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cms2, Dec 18, 2007.

1. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

If I want to do a "clean" install of Leopard, how can I save my purchased iTunes files? Is there anyway I can save my whole library (as data disks, perhaps?) so I don't have to re-import all these cds?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

are you using an external hard drive for time machine? If so it saves everything for you

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just backup your music directory as well as [Home Dir]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library and replace the files after the reinstall.

When I did it to fit a new hard drive I backed up my entire home folder and copied and pasted the contents back in.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

save to a back up drive or just to an archive and install.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Damn that was close between those posts, I hit submit and your post was there when the page loaded :p.

6. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

Thanks everyone... as usual, this community doesn't disappoint!

7. canadadude macrumors member

itunes

im still using tiger and still new to this mac stuff and it turns out my internet was screwed up but i installed tiger discs and i guess it erased everyhthing on my puter including itunes and now i new itunes library but it says if i sync my ipod with my mac i will lose all songs on ipod. Anyone know if i can find my old library anywhere??? or sync these 2 without losing stuff on ipod now thanks sorry for long post

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

first of all... punctuation please:p

secondly, did you do an erase and install of Tiger? If so I think you have lost all your iTunes:(

9. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

There is 3rd party software that will do this for you. Don't sync, that's for putting the library you already have on your computer onto your ipod. I remeber seeing some such apps on the apple download site (www.apple.com/downloads) but I haven't actually needed to use any.

Good luck!

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

11. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

If you have them on an iPod then you can just authorize the new computer when you reinstall everything and it should transfer the purchases for you

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

that doesnt really work because you need the original file you downloaded from iTunes. Which you can only download once. You need to store the file on an external hd and then load it to whatever macs you want to authorize.