Transferring iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoeUnited, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JoeUnited macrumors newbie

Sorry all if this isn't the right thread/section (or even forum lol), but I need a bit of help.

I recently bought a MBP and I'm trying to transfer my iTunes library from my old computer to my new one. I have a flash drive so that's no problem. But I copied my iTunes library to my flash drive, plugged the drive into my MBP, and I'm clueless as to what to do from here. I've tried replacing my current library (only a fraction of my songs) with my full one, but it doesn't seem to work :confused:

I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, and every site I find on google has different directions lol, so hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Copy your entire "iTunes" folder from your old computer and import everything into iTunes.

3. unamused macrumors 6502

an even easier way is to use the home sharing feature... takes a while but makes it super easy!

4. JoeUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, everything's now on the flash drive. Do I click "Add to Library" or "Import Playlist", or do I need to totally delete my current library first??

And also, will this mess up my phone contacts or anything, because I don't think they've been synced on my new MBP.

5. JoeUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know?

Just not entirely sure what to do, although I'm sure it's right in front of me. Do I need to delete my current iTunes folder (consisting of a fraction of my songs) first?

6. celticpride678

Yes. And it will not screw up your contacts (it has nothing to do with it).

7. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i transferred mine an odd way: Home Sharing.

it took a long time but i just had my old PC on and my new MBP and just transferred everything over via wifi. that was my last resort but it worked.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just copy everything on user/music/iTunes and fire the program, then when asked select the iTunes library file

9. JoeUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

My old laptop is very old and slow, so thought it'd be easier just putting it on a flash and doing it that way. It still took ages to complete the transfer process, though :(

Thank you for the help. I put the old iTunes folder in the trash, and dragged the one from my flash drive folder. Everything's being copied over at the moment, so all is good!

10. JerseyBill macrumors member

Ok - I just did this, moving my classic iPod's full 160 GB library from PC to Mac - and I found the easiest, quickest, most accurate - in other words - BEST solution.

Spend $20 online and buy a program called Senuti (iTunes spelled backwards). What it does is transfer ALL your iPod media - including play counts, playlists, ALL OF IT, from your iPod to your new machine. Normally, the iPod will only let you transfer what you have purchased from iTunes before you erase and re-sync (never your music loaded from CDs) - but this program lets you get every last scrap of information on your iPod. It only falls short when you have an iTunes installation larger than your iPod's capacity (because you are moving the data from your iPod) - but even then it is a God-send to ensure your playlists and play counts are moved correctly.

I was fooling around with moving files for days - and for some reason many of them were not being read correctly in the move from the PC. Once I found Senuti, the whole project was done in an hour. Well worth the $20.

Not trying to be a shill for this program - I have no interest in it. I am just thrilled that I found something that worked so damn well for what was a very important task to me....

:D