Transferring iWeb site file to another computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2A Batterie, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I created my website in iWeb '08 about a year ago and it's finally time to update it, but I'm running into a few problems.

First, I'm using a new computer now, although I transferred all of the files from one HD to the other. When I go to open iWeb on my MacBook, I can't access my old site. I never worked on my site from my new computer, but I have all the files. I have the actual files (such as .jpgs and mp3s) in an organized folder. The website itself and all the information is in the folder that I upload via FTP to my server. How do I get to open all of those in iWeb so that I can edit the site?

I selected one of the HTML files and tried to open it using iWeb, and now I can't even open iWeb. I keep getting the error message the iWeb could not open the .html file.

Any suggestions?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The iWeb websites are stored inside a file located here

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2

If you didn't copy that file from your old computer then I believe you are out of luck.

If that file is there double click on it and iWeb should open up and with the site

It is very bad design by apple to store this file where they do but that doesn't help you now.

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

So I'm just getting back around to updating my website.... I really don't want to have to build a whole new one. I can't for the life of me get the old HD with that domain back up and running. What I do have is all the files and the site format in a folder as seen in the attached pic (under New-website). Please help someone! I don't want to have to start from scratch again!

Attached Files:

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

But that's where you're at. iWeb offers no form of import capability. There's no way to create the Domain.sites2 file.

5. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Even with all the file folders and .html pages??

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

if you open up the .HTML file with safari you might be able to copy and paste the content into iWeb which will save you some work but it really is a case of rebuilding the site from scratch.