Transferring iWork to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacRy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I currently have a PowerBook and I am thinking of getting a new MacBook but need to know whether I can transfer iWork across from my PowerBook to the new MacBook. It came pre-installed on the PowerBook so I don't have the disks for it but i'm wondering if I could just burn the Apps onto a disk and dump them in the Applications folder of the new Mac and have them work (and deleting them off of the PowerBook afterwards obviously)? I don't particularly want to have to pay for it seeing as I already have it and I use it a lot for work. Anyone have any idea?

Edit: The other issue of course is that I am using Pages 1 so I guess that it wouldn't work with the Intel chipset anyway? Or would it? I'm confusing myself now.

Edit again: So i've copied Pages over to a colleague's iBook and entered the serial number and it works fine so that's covered. All that's left now is to discover whether it would work on an Intel machine.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You will also want to copy over the Library files, particularly if you've created any custom templates. You'll find them in Library/Application Support/iWork.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

There is no reason iWork '05 won't run on an Intel Mac under Rosetta, it will just be slower than '06 which is universal.

Since the new Mac will come with the 30-day trial of iWork '06, you will need to delete it before installing '05.

4. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Excellent. I did think that iit would work under Rosetta but a colleague said that he thought it wouldn't and I started doubting myself......don't know why I listened to him really as he doesn't use Macs very often :)

Thanks for your replies guys. Most appreciated.