Transferring just specifics from Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by WillFisher, Aug 23, 2013.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Hi guys, so ordered my i5/8/256 MBA and its currently waiting to be dispatched. Super excited!

Anyway, I've got my Time Machine backup, but having just broken up with the long term girlfriend, don't want to copy everything (Including her user account) across.

Is there anyway I can just transfer documents, applications, photos etc without using time machine?
    I realise its probably possible just through dragging and dropping, but is there another way?
    I don't fancy installing Logic Pro and all 60-odd GB of samples using the CDs again...

Thanks a lot!

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I would first be sure to have a good backup of my current machine, just in case. Then I think I would just delete everything from it that I no longer want (all your ex's stuff). I would then do a backup of this on a separate external drive. Now just connect that drive when the new MBA comes and let it do its thing. :)

3. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Yeah thats the thing, I did forget to mention! I currently don't have the machine, all I have is the backup drive.

I think I'm just gonna copy across file by file, theres so much junk on that drive! Hah!
    Start fresh!

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

not really sure what it is you want to do... if you just want certain files and not others the yes, you are going to have to go file to file or hopefully just folder to folder...

it's not as bad as it sounds. the breaking up bit or restoring;)

just plug it in, open time machine and take what you want. if you realize you're missing something later just go back and get it. i wouldn't go wiping the backup until you're sure you've gotten everything you need or want.

also, and this has nothing to do with computers, but i would also advise against wiping everything right away anyway because you're still dealing with the change and who knows - maybe one day'll you'll be glad you didn't delete stuff...you know, nostalgia

5. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Use Migration Assistant. It can use a Time Machine backup as a source. You can just select you user account and not your ex's.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Exactly. I recently got an MBA for my oldest son who was heading off to college. I used Migration Assistant to move just his account over from the "family" MBA that we all shared. I could have done it Mac-to-Mac over wifi and using Migration Assistant as I didn't have 2 MDP-to-Ethernet adapters. However, instead I did it off of a USB 3.0 Time Machine backup that I updated just prior to migrating. Worked like a charm.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Actually that shouldn't matter. Just connect your time machine backup drive when you setup the new machine, and it will then be just like your old Mac. Now go and delete the stuff you don't want. You will be starting from a known state and won't have to worry about forgetting to copy something.

8. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Wonderful, thanks for all the help guys!
    Pictures and such aren't going anywhere for the time being, but its mainly other files and such. As you say, nostalgia and all. Hah.

Thanks for everything!

9. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but on a related note, does Migration Assistant via Time Machine transfer absolutely everything from an old machine to a new machine? Or is anything left behind that needs to be transferred manually?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It transfers everything if you check all the category boxes of items to move. You don't need to move anything manually.

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I used it to go from my 2008 MBP to 2011 MBA about two years ago, then from the 2011 MBA to a 2013 MBA a few weeks ago. It was really flawless both times. It knows whether system files should be restored from the backup or replaced by the version on your new machine.

I remember having various problems 5 or 6 years ago, but I've been really impressed with the current software. It really makes the new machine exactly like your old one with all your settings, dock layout, even files you had left on the desktop.

I can only remember one oddity, and that was really a MacOSX 7 "thing". I had a copy of Quicktime Pro that I used frequently on the old machine. This was apparently replaced with the standard version of Quicktime. But a search found Quicktime Pro had just been moved to the Utilities folder.

12. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks!