Transferring large amounts of data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockyduderino, Apr 19, 2015.

1. rockyduderino macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am going to copy 4 TB of a lot of different files from one external hard drive to another and would like advice on the most effortless way to do this. I'd like to run in as few cancelled transfers due to error codes in Finder as possible. The computer I will use to do this runs Lion.

Thank you

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

We use this:
    RocketStor RS5212 Thunderbolt, you can even transfer between 2 size of drives.

[​IMG]

And we do not transfer via Finder, we do it via Terminal, is faster and more reliable.

http://www.cnet.com/news/using-the-os-x-terminal-instead-of-the-finder-to-copy-files/

We created a template in Excel and just filling the blanks. The name of the drive can not have spaces, such a "drive a", it has to be "drive_a". With the internal folders it does not mater. It will transfer probably 3 times as fast than regular drag and drop.

Or you can use any software to transfer files as well. Do a search.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you are going to copy the ENTIRE contents of the drive, I'd suggest CarbonCopyCloner.

One advantage CCC has is -- during the progress of the copying (cloning), if CCC encounters a corrupt file that can't be copied, it will "skip over" the bad file and go on with the job.

At the completion, I believe CCC will give you a report of the "problem files" it logged. Never actually had this happen myself, but I understand that capability is there...

Even if you don't need to copy all the contents, CCC has a "checklist" option that you can scroll down, de-selecting files and folders that you DO NOT want copied.

CCC is FREE to download and use (fully functional), and it is FREE to use for 30 days.

You could also try SuperDuper, which will allow you to do a "complete clone" (clones ALL files, no options to select files you wish to be copied) forever, without registering.

4. corvustheraven macrumors newbie

corvustheraven

I second using CCC. I have cloned 3TB drives before, and it worked flawlessly.

5. rockyduderino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all the input! Great info.

I dare not mess with Terminal I'm afraid..

Does CCC have any progress-info during the copying?
    Also, will it create an image or just copy the files to a new drive so that I can manage the files from and add to that drive when the clone is done?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

CCC just copies from one drive to another.

Really, don't make a big production out of this.

Just try it.

If it doesn't do a job you like, try something else...

7. rockyduderino thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahah, ok will do.
    It's just that the drive is 4TB so it's a big thing to try before you know what it does.
    I will find out.

Thanks again!

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Practice with small subsets of data. CCC will let you select individual folders to copy. So try it using small test cases, and then if it does what you want, use it on larger data sets.

Since your computer is running Lion, you will need to download the older version of CCC.
    https://www.bombich.com/download

9. rockyduderino thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, that's great! Thought it only did the whole thing.

Thanks a lot!