Transferring large files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by three1ne, Jan 4, 2009.

1. three1ne macrumors newbie

I understand when using Fat32 you cant transfer over 4gb files. Ive run into that annoying problem in the past although im confused as to how I copied a 32gb imovie file over from my Macbook Pro to my (Fat32) My Book Western Digital. Can anyone explain this to me?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

its fat16 that has a 4gb limit.

EDIT: oh maybe its drive size im thinking of....nm

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

iMovie project files aren't really files. They are bundles, ie folders. If you look at the project files using Get Info, you see the file extension .iMovieProject (for iMovie HD) or .rcproject (for iMovie 08).

So when you copy a 32GB iMovie project onto a FAT32 drive, as long as all the individual files within the bundle are smaller than 4GB, it will work.

4. kolax macrumors G3

You should try and backup the stuff on the drive and then reformat it to either HFS+ (Mac) or NTFS (Windows). Note if you want to use an HFS+ formatted drive in Windows, you need MacDrive and if you want to use an NTFS formatted drive in Mac OS X you need MacFUSE.

FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

5. three1ne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers Kilamite and Plinden. Very helpful. I actually downloaded Macfuse and NTFS 3G today. Thats what got me thinking about my original question in the first place. Formatted my memory card to NTFS but it was so slow at transferring it was pointless.