Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMaverick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
London (But Aussie)
Hi and Merry Christmas to anyone who reads this!

I'm a newbie on here looking to read some good tips about Macs and also seeking some advice.

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong Thread, I wasn't sure exactly which category my query fits into.

I had a G5 which was causing me many problems and so I decided to buy a new MacBook Pro. I now require assistance in transferring my Mail folders and messages from my old G5 to my new MacBook.

All other files have been backed up onto an external Lacie as I need to go through them and tidy them up before I put them onto my new MacBook as over many years they have become disorganised.

I looked into using the Migration Assistant, but I couldn't see a way of making it only transfer across my Mail. So I was wondering if there is a way I can manually grab the relevant files and just copy them onto my new MacBook.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Tania

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the other file you *might* want to grab is the preferences file - com.apple.mail.plist - that is in your ~/library/preferences folder. Also, if after you've copied all the mail data over and you find that the folders appear empty of messages can't be viewed, just go to "rebuild mailbox" in the mailbox menu and it will re-index the folder for you....oh yeah!

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Do you recommend dragging the individual account folders into the new computer?

I have about one year of earthlink mail that is no longer on their server, but I still have an earthlink account in in Apple Mail. Will these emails appear in the account inbox, or is there more to do?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
You should be able to drag the entire Mail folder to your new computer. If the results you obtain are not the ones you wanted, you could always export and import the mailbox files using Mail's built-in wizard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.