Transferring Mail - HELP!!! I'm LOST!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UlsterApple, Sep 6, 2011.

1. UlsterApple macrumors regular

I've got an up and running G4 and want to transfer my Mail - messages and accounts - to a new G5. I've hit problems already.
    My new G5 required me to set up an account, which I did, using my usual account name. I tried Data Migration via Firewire but the new G5 tells me both the accounts on the G5 and the G4 have the same name so one cannot be transferred to the other. I can't deleted the main G5 account, and changing the name on the G4 account to allow import will surely not import data to my new account, but to a different one on the new G5? I'm lost already...
    So: I tried a manual file copy from the firewire icon on the G5 screen to the library. Wonder of wonders, most of my files are in use (of course they are - the computer's using the desktop etc!) and Mail tells me I don't have sufficient privileges to copy the files.
    So : what SHOULD be a simple operation is now confusion beyond belief, and likely as not I'll lose all my saved, sent and unread messages - just like last time.
    All help and advice appreciated!

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

What mail service do you use? (@me, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc, etc)

3. UlsterApple thread starter macrumors regular

BT Internet.
    What should have been a simple operation has turned out unbelievably complicated.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I just re-read your OP and I think I took it as you were using Mail that Apple OS X offers. If this is the case try this: Open Mail - click Mailbox - Export Mailbox. Then for importing on the new machine after you've copied the file to a usb or w/e open Mail on the G5 - File - Import Mailboxes.

Let me know if you're using something other than the Mail app from Apple.

5. UlsterApple thread starter macrumors regular

It's the standard OSX Mail, and upgrading from a G4 running 10.4.11 to a G5 running 10.5.X

6. UlsterApple thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way I can just copy all the messages from the old system to the new?