Transferring MBP to someone else

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medgirl2001, Nov 27, 2012.

1. medgirl2001 macrumors regular

I want to give my MacBook Pro to my husband and want to get the old data off of it, but I'm not eager to go through a reinstall process from the original disks (was originally Leopard and have gone through Snow Leopard, Lion, and now Mountain Lion). Since this is staying in the family, I don't think I need to do a 7 pass erase or anything like that, but I'd like to turn it over fairly clean.

On this thread from back in 2009, it was suggested just to create a new administrator account and delete the current one.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635637

That seems easy enough, but is that all I need to do, now that we're in the era of iCloud, the Mac App Store, etc.? Will that remove the old data and free up hard drive space? I know I'll need to de-authorize iTunes and turn off my iCloud. There doesn't seem to be a way to de-authorize the Mac App Store (which gives me some concern as to how many copies of Mountain Lion I can use - searching on that gave conflicting information). Is there anything I'm missing?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just make a new admin acct. for him and from that acct. delete your acct. You can just logout of the App store and that solves that. Although, given this is all in the family I would give hubby your AppleID so he can keep the apps updated through the App store.

There is not going to be a problem with Mountain Lion licensing. You can use your App Store ML purchase for all machines you own. There is no number of machines limit.

3. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks for the info. I was concerned about a machine limit for the App Store (like with iTunes), so that is good to hear that isn't a problem.