Transferring .mov files from G3 to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by camlrug, Mar 23, 2012.

1. camlrug macrumors newbie

So. Recently I lugged my old iMac G3 out of storage to get hold of some .mov files on it. Although these files are complete on the G3, when I try opening them on my Macbook pro Quicktime says that it cannot locate some of the clips. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Roquefort macrumors member

QuickTime is a "container" format. A .mov file can hold the actual video and audio streams (be "self-contained") or it can contain only references (pointers) to video and audio that are stored in other files.

The solution may be as simple as copying the entire folder that contains your movies. If the files referenced by the .mov file are in that folder then the .mov file should play OK on your MacBook Pro because QuickTime will find the referenced files in the same (copied) folder.

If it turns out that the referenced files are not in the same folder, then you can try opening each movie in QuickTime on your G3 and using Save As or Save for Web to create new self-contained movie files.