Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forest91

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Hi all
I have recently purchased a uni mbp.
My old imac (2007 white model) has the entirety of my music library on it (about 40 gigs). I would like to transfer it to the mpb ideally before I go on holiday in a couple of days time. I have no access to shops in the meantime to I can't get a firewire adaptor. Would it be ok for me to transfer it over ichat between the two computers. Basically im looking for an easy way to transfer this large file. The only thing im worried about with regards to the ichat thing is the connection suddenly dropping half way through which really would be irritating. Any ideas?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Do you have a home network? It'd be easier to network your Macs and transfer your files that way.

It might also work if you connect the two Macs to eachother via ethernet, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I always just use a firewire cable and target disk mode for fast transferring.

Forest91

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Do you have a home network? It'd be easier to network your Macs and transfer your files that way.

It might also work if you connect the two Macs to eachother via ethernet, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I always just use a firewire cable and target disk mode for fast transferring.

Thats what I used to do but this damn firewire port change has messed it up. We have a home router if thats what you mean?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Yeah, that's what I mean. In System Preferences, enable File Sharing on both your Macs, and when you open finder you should see the other Mac in the sidebar under shared.

You can drag your files and transfer them that way.

Forest91

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Yeah, that's what I mean. In System Preferences, enable File Sharing on both your Macs, and when you open finder you should see the other Mac in the sidebar under shared.

You can drag your files and transfer them that way.

Thats a bloody good idea actually mate, thanks
Will this still work as one of the machines is older and still running tiger?

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I believe Migration Assistant might also work with a home network. If you set up one computer to deliver the files and the other to accept them (have MA running on both machines) then that should work as well. This way, you can move just music or just photos, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.