transferring music to new iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wfriedwald, Dec 12, 2018.

1. wfriedwald macrumors regular

wfriedwald

I bought a new 32GB iPod Touch as a gift for a dear friend, and wanted to fill it with music for him.

my first thought was to set it up under his name, and then fill it via iTunes, but when I plug it in, iTunes just doesn't see it.

I tried a free trial of a 3rd party (paid) app called ANY TRANS (the title is kind of scary!) and that did find it (and it worked), but that's $40.

was hoping to do this via iTunes ... but that may not be an option. ($40 seems steep considering I am just going to use it this once, will fill up the device, mail it off, and then never see it again.)

if I were to re-set the device to factory settings, and then plug it into iTunes, would the iTunes program then see it and set it up under my name? perhaps that's the better option.

(if so, what's the easiest way to reset the iPod Touch to factory settings?)

thanks as always for any advice,

w

2. chabig macrumors 603

A factory reset is done by going to Setting > General > Reset. Then you can sign in with an AppleID that holds valid rights to use the music you intend to put on it. Since your friend is "dear" you might consider sharing your Apple Music subscription with him. In that case just let him set up his own AppleID and you use Family Sharing to share your subscription with him.

3. wfriedwald thread starter macrumors regular

wfriedwald

that's not a bad idea, although he really just wants some out-of-print music extracted from long-out-of-print 80-90 year old 78s (no lie). stuff I can put on the internal drive from private collections. thanks!

4. chabig macrumors 603

Oh. Then iTunes is probably the way to go. I don't know why it wouldn't work with his AppleID. Is all of your software up to date?

5. wfriedwald thread starter macrumors regular

wfriedwald

should be, although my current mac is OS 10.11.6 (that's as high as it will go - vintage hardware!)

thanks - looking into more third party apps, there seem to be an abundance of them.

(the current iPod touch is a lovely device; I had mine inscribed with a special message, a very commendable service provided by Apple.)

w