Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
What’s the best way to do it guys? I would ideally create an encrypted backup of my 11 Pro on my Mac and then just restore that backup on the new iPhone 13 Pro but my Mac doesn’t have enough free space so I can’t create an encrypted backup. I heard there’s a way to directly transfer my 11 Pro to the new 13 Pro once I have them connected to Wifi side by side, is that true? Is that identical to doing an encrypted backup restore using a Mac? Will it transfer all my health data etc? How long does it usually take? My iPhone 11 Pro is 256gb and I have about 70gb free on it

jtptus

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
I had a similar issue. The Wifi side-by-side you refer to may be the Quick Start method that uses iCloud backups and moves them to the new phone. My iCloud does not have all my phone data. My work around: a portable Samsung SSD T5 drive. Connect drive and the phone to your Mac. When you select where you want to back up the phone, choose the T5 and encrypt as you wish. Then use the Retore function to copy T5 to new phone. Later, you might be able to free up some space on your Mac (aka The Mothership) to allow the encypted back up to be stored on it. It is all bit tedious but easier than trying to free up space on the Mac blindly and getting the 'not enough space' message.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I had a similar issue. The Wifi side-by-side you refer to may be the Quick Start method that uses iCloud backups and moves them to the new phone. My iCloud does not have all my phone data. My work around: a portable Samsung SSD T5 drive. Connect drive and the phone to your Mac. When you select where you want to back up the phone, choose the T5 and encrypt as you wish. Then use the Retore function to copy T5 to new phone. Later, you might be able to free up some space on your Mac (aka The Mothership) to allow the encypted back up to be stored on it. It is all bit tedious but easier than trying to free up space on the Mac blindly and getting the 'not enough space' message.
I have an external 1Tb t5 SSD connected to my Mac but I don’t see any such option in MacOS for choosing where to store the backup. It goes on the internal 128gb SSd drive of the MacBook by default

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I have an external 1Tb t5 SSD connected to my Mac but I don’t see any such option in MacOS for choosing where to store the backup. It goes on the internal 128gb SSd drive of the MacBook by default
You can’t change the location of iPhone backups for security reasons. You’re gonna need to temporarily move some stuff to the SSD to make room for the encrypted backup.

If you just use your 11 Pro to setup your 13 Pro it might take a while but you would get all your health data on the new iPhone. You’d even have the option to automatically pair your Apple Watch with the new 13 Pro.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
You can’t change the location of iPhone backups for security reasons. You’re gonna need to temporarily move some stuff to the SSD to make room for the encrypted backup.

If you just use your 11 Pro to setup your 13 Pro it might take a while but you would get all your health data on the new iPhone. You’d even have the option to automatically pair your Apple Watch with the new 13 Pro.
I see, so the direct transfer method via Wifi with both the old iPhone and new iPhone side by side that I mentioned above transfers EVERYTHING just like an encrypted backup does, correct?

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I see, so the direct transfer method via Wifi with both the old iPhone and new iPhone side by side that I mentioned above transfers EVERYTHING just like an encrypted backup does, correct?
I just setup my replacement 11 Pro with that method and I got all my data including my Health data. Don’t think I lost anything. And my Watch automatically paired with the new iPhone.
So I’m fairly positive yours would be fine as well.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I just setup my replacement 11 Pro with that method and I got all my data including my Health data. Don’t think I lost anything. And my Watch automatically paired with the new iPhone.
So I’m fairly positive yours would be fine as well.
And how long did the direct transfer from the old iphone to the new iphone take? About 30 minutes?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

The phone to phone method is a direct transfer between devices… iCloud storage not required.

Reactions: ebika

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Every time I think I don’t have enough room on my Mac, it’s because I forget about old iPhone backups that I made in the past that I forgot about. If you don’t need older ones anymore, use Manage Backups to trash the ones you don’t need anymore. If you need the older ones, you can move them to an external drive - https://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-or-ipad-backups-external-hard-drive
i dont have any old iphone backups on my Mac so thats not the case im low on storage space. my mac only has internal 128gb of storage, i currently have about 50gb free so not enough to create a backup of my iphone 11 Pro which is why i created this thread. it sounds like the direct phone to phone transfer method should work just like restoring an encrypted backup from the mac does so i might do that as mentioned above by CoronaOnTop once i get my 13 Pro delivered next friday.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
When transferring to a new phone, does it matter in the sequence when the SIM should be changed over between old and new?

Reactions: 3Rock

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
When transferring to a new phone, does it matter in the sequence when the SIM should be changed over between old and new?
Good question, I’d like to know the answer to this as well

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I'm using Itunes to restore my new Iphone to my old settings. I've done this with my old Iphones and Ipad Pro's in the past when upgrading.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Transferring sim then copying between phones, or the other way around doesn’t matter, afaik. The cell plan and contents of the phone storage are separate things. I used phone-to-phone transfer from my XS to 12 pro. It took 30 minutes or so, but it was painless. As others have said, it’s using direct wifi between devices to transfer everything.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Transferring sim then copying between phones, or the other way around doesn’t matter, afaik. The cell plan and contents of the phone storage are separate things. I used phone-to-phone transfer from my XS to 12 pro. It took 30 minutes or so, but it was painless. As others have said, it’s using direct wi-if between devices to transfer everything.
Got it, Just so that i know i get my iPhone 13 Pro and boot it up, What is the option/feature for direct phone to phone backup transfer called exactly?

Another question i have is this, since the iPhone 13 Pro is going to come with iOS 15 pre installed. Does my iPhone 11 Pro need to be upgraded to iOS 15 as well or can i keep it on iOS 14?

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Transferring sim then copying between phones, or the other way around doesn’t matter, afaik. The cell plan and contents of the phone storage are separate things. I used phone-to-phone transfer from my XS to 12 pro. It took 30 minutes or so, but it was painless. As others have said, it’s using direct wifi between devices to transfer everything.
This right here is correct.

My simple go to is always back up, but start phone fresh with automatic download of my texts, photos, notes, reminders, etc. I don't actually restore from a backup unless I noticed something missing.

Best to start fresh so that you don't carry new bugs onto the new phone.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Got it, Just so that i know i get my iPhone 13 Pro and boot it up, What is the option/feature for direct phone to phone backup transfer called exactly?

Another question i have is this, since the iPhone 13 Pro is going to come with iOS 15 pre installed. Does my iPhone 11 Pro need to be upgraded to iOS 15 as well or can i keep it on iOS 14?
They call it Quick Start. I don’t think it needs to be iOS 15 on the old device. It’ll tell you when you try if you update it or not. I’m 90% sure I transferring from and old version of iOS to new when I did my XS -> 12.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
This right here is correct.

My simple go to is always back up, but start phone fresh with automatic download of my texts, photos, notes, reminders, etc. I don't actually restore from a backup unless I noticed something missing.

Best to start fresh so that you don't carry new bugs onto the new phone.
But my "Messages" category is about 20gb in size so that can't be backed up to the cloud as you claim unless you pay for iCloud and have large icloud storage.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
You can also use the Apple lightning to USB adapter and make it a wired transfer instead of wireless. Also make sure both devices batteries are full

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.