Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Hello all,

I am about to take delivery of a car with a USB connection. It does connect to iPods, but the USB port is in full view in the middle of the dashboard. So, I have the idea of converting my songs (Apple Lossless), to high bitrate mp3 or AAC files, and putting them on a tiny USB drive that can stay in place without attracting attention from local naerdowells.

However, this seems far less simple than I thought. Does anyone know of an easy and reliable method or app that will do this without duplicating my iTunes library or taking hours?

Thanks in advance,

David.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can use iTunes to create lower bit rate copies of whatever songs you want in the car, then delete them from your iTunes library after you've transferred them to the USB drive.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Get an older iPod shuffle? Therefore you sync your music rather than duplicating?

Be sure and put it in your glove when your away from your ride.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Be sure and put it in your glove when your away from your ride.

Thanks very much both of you for your quick replies - however I am hoping for something a bit more elegant - that will allow me to directly convert the files to my USB drive, without needing to duplicate songs or put anything away everytime I leave the car.

David

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.