Transferring (not copying!) files to USB drive - help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by docx314, Aug 23, 2010.

1. docx314 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a WD 1TB external USB drive, however when I move files to it OS X copies the files onto the drive instead of simply moving them, as is standard procedure for external drives. I'm wondering if just transferring the files would be any faster, and if so, how to do it?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As transferring them via moving is not really possible via the Finder, copying the files first and then deleting the originals is the only way to go. The copy process is not slower due to the files not being immediately deleted after the file is completely written to the external HDD.

MRoogle results on "moving files in Finder"

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you want to move files, hold the Command key (aka Apple key) when dragging and dropping. If you don't hold the Command key, standard procedure is copy.

As for speed, USB will only go so fast...

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting. i was not aware of that! so it removes the originals after copying is successful? im not sure if i trust that... what if the connection is disconnected :( thats part of the reason why "Cut" isnt included imo.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Personally, I prefer the copy-then-delete method. I like to make sure things copy over properly before deleting.

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

open a terminal, then use the command mv... Old Skool baby!

7. vladzaharia macrumors regular

That's basically what holding the Command key while dragging over does. The Finder move is using mv and the Finder copy uses cp.