Transferring old files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by makleod, Feb 1, 2011.

1. makleod macrumors newbie

I currently own an older generation Mac Mini, and I am going to be purchasing a new MacBook Pro and a 750GB hard drive. My question is, can I just make a copy of my current hard drive using CarbonCopyCloner from the Mac Mini to the new 750GB hard drive and then throw it into the MBP? I assume this would be the easiest way to transfer all of my files instead of having to install Snow Leopard on the new hard drive and use the Migration Assistant to move everything over. Coming from a Windows background this would not work because of driver issues etc, but with OS X, everything is pretty much the same correct? Thoughts?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I assume that would work, but the easiest way is to have Apple do it for you for free. Well, ok, you have to take your present Mac to them, but they do the rest, unless they've changed that policy. They did mine 3 years ago.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It's two different machines we're talking about. There will certainly be unexpected issues and complications. You should either use Migration Assistant or have professionals to take care of it for you.

4. makleod thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm not willing to pay Apple for something I can easily do. I think I'll just install SL on the new hard drive and use the migration assistant/an external HD to move everything over.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Say what?