Transferring Outlook files to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bullox, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Bullox macrumors newbie

So here is the deal: My father is transfering to a mac, but he wants the outlook stuff to come with him, and he picked me to arrange that :rolleyes:

1) I want to transfer Outlook files to Mac, contacts and adress book will manage, but I want all the tethering of the saved emails (All emails saved in folders and sub-folders in outlook) to remain intact.

2) I searched and saw some shady way of renaming the files and messing around with them, don't wanna use that.

3) I downloaded trial of 02M by little machines, but that could not connect to outlook and they don't really offer support. (installed latest updates from MS etc.)

4) haven't tried Thunderbird, but I think it just won't do the job.

I would like some advice/help please :D

2. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I think what i did..was I had office for MACs, i dont know if you can get a trial.

I saved all the messages and addresses on an jump drive. If i remember i could not openthem in Apple mail. But i could in entourage (Mac office email app). i think i put everything in entourage. and than apple mail could import from entourage.

Could you put both computers on a network? there may be some way of accessing it via the network,

Or, idk if it would work but you could grab paralells (Software to run windows apps). Install windows import all your emails/addys to that email application, and then import to your apple mail app.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What email client do you plan on using? Mail, Entourage, etc.?

4. Bullox thread starter macrumors newbie

I think Mail, (but he might change his mind to entourage) sorry I thought i included that in the thread :D

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not sure how Mail handles these, but in Outlook on the source PC you can export your Inbox, Contacts, etc. to a file. Check the menus in Mail (I don't use it, sorry) to see if there's a way to Import a data file. You'll have to see what type of format Mail can import - tab delimited values, comma delimited values, etc. Then go back to Outlook and export the Inbox using that format. You should be able to copy that data file to the Mac and import using Mail.

Good luck!

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

i couldnt do it be backing up the file, and then trying to open it in Apple mail. But you can to entourage, and then you can import to apple mail

7. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I am dealing with the same issue. You need to export windows outlook mail in csv and import into Entourage. I dont know about OSX mail.

8. Bullox thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for your replies guys! I'll try as soon as the MBP arrives :D

9. automan98 macrumors member

I helped someone with this years ago, but I can't remember all the details. I think we moved the messages to an IMAP connection with GMail and then connected Mail (mac) to Gmail to bring them back down. We were able to create whatever IMAP folders we need. About 75% sure this was the method. Sorry I can't think of more...

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I forgot if it's through Outlook Express or regular Outlook from Office (and it did matter from what I remember), but you just open up Outlook, head to your inbox, select all the messages, and drag them to the desktop. From there you transfer them to your Mac, and then just drag them all into your Mac Mail inbox. I don't remember how Outlook handles it's attachments but I do believe they transfer over as well (you'd can check after you add them to Mail).

You might be able to drag individual folders you may have in Outlook, or you might have to go into each specific folder and do a select all/drag again as I don't remember that part, but that will work as I don't remember either Outlook version being able to export it's mail into a format Mac Mail can read.

11. Bullox thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! heres what I did:

1) Tried trial versions of all that "cheap and easy" software (FAIL! I do not reccomend this, if this works for you please do, but it just installed useless not working software on my pc.)
    2) Downloaded Thunderbird, imported from Outlook
    3) Downloaded an add-on for Thunderbird (tinyurl.com/oo22mm), and installed it.
    4) Tools-->add-on-->export using .mbox (choose a simple folder here, like c:/MBOX orso) NOTE: This did not work the first time, see 5)
    5) Tried again, no progress bar this time, but mysteriously was finished. (had to ctrl+alt+del out of Thunderbird)
    6) Dragged folder to hard drive, then to mac
    7) Imported everything directly into OS X mail.
    8) Everything shows up fine with folder and subfolders, only they are all marked as unread. (no big deal for me)
    9)???
    10) Profit!

12. cemcr macrumors newbie

I used O2M

In your PC, archive the contacts, inbox and calendar (I had Outlook 2003), then run O2M and it will create the correct files to be used on Entourage 2008.... It is worth to buy it...