Transferring paid apps on a clean install?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eluzion, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I have a few apps I've paid subscriptions too (ForeFlight, MobiTV, etc.) but I plan on doing a clean install of iOS 4 when I get my iPhone 4. Is there any way I can retain those subscriptions on a new install?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Do you use iTunes? If you use the same account name, the apps should automatically copy over.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes, you select in iTunes transfer iPhone purchases to iTunes, that will copy those apps to your iTunes library, then you simply install them in your iPhone after the clean install.
    Also you can directly in your iPhone install the apps one by one, directly from the App Store, you will not charged again if you indeed do use the same iTunes account you used to buy them.

4. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, paid apps work fine but the ones I have a subscription too like ForeFlight do not. I did a clean install of iOS 4 on my 3G and I loaded all my apps on it but when I opened up ForeFlight, it detected me as a new user and now I'm on a trial again versus the 3 month subscription I paid for. I just purchased a month of service with the MobiTV app and I'm wondering if the same thing will happen when I get my iPhone 4.

5. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

6. dfritter4 macrumors newbie

i'm curious about this as well. I just got my new iPhone 4 and transfered all apps via iTunes, but my EPSN World Cup app that i upgraded to the full version (it's an in-app upgrade) doesn't seem to recognize that i've already purchased the upgrade on the old phone and wants me to buy it again.

if i "purchase" the upgrade again, i'm wondering if it will say "you already have downloaded this app and will not be charged" like it sometimes says when you update paid apps.

can anyone verify this?

7. Terry W macrumors member

Just spoke with MobiTV customer support to ask this same question. Go through the same premium/upgrade procedure using the same iTunes account info and selecting the exact same time period for the subscription that you chose when you first upgraded. If will then ask "Confirm Purchase" - click yes. Then it will say you've already done this, download for free - yes! See link to screenshot below.

http://gallery.me.com/tlwettermanjr#100073&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0