Transferring Photo to iPhoto, Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IPadNParadise, Feb 6, 2013.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I am a complete newbie to the MBP and could use some help please. I saved a photo from one of my emails (on my MBP mid 2012 w/ML Mail App) to my pictures folder. I want it to be in my iPhoto library. I have searched here and on the internet and cannot find a way to get it from my pictures folder to show up in my iPhoto library. i ultimately want to use it as my desktop picture and maybe I can from its location on my pictures folder in the Finder window. I guess ultimately then, I dont understand the iPhoto, I "thought" that was where pictures belonged.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just open up iPhoto and drag it in. The iPhoto library is a separate database than the pictures folder.

3. simsaladimbamba

iPhoto is for managing and "editing" your own photos, the one you shot yourself with some kind of camera.
    iPhoto is not, but can be, used for managing all kinds of pictures you may download from somewhere and get any other way.

You can manage downloaded pics by creating your own folders in Finder (CMD+SHIFT+N) and you can add folders with pictures to be the source of a Desktop wallpaper via System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > + .

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Thank you both. And it was my own photo taken with my own camera. And the pic had been stored on my old Toshiba that had crashed and thought it was gone forever. Came across it in an old email found in my ISP email account setup on my new MBP and was so excited to find it and then didnt now how to work with it. And thanks for the link for help on Mac basics.

5. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Try opening iPhoto, then open Finder and go to your photo. If you right click on it there may be an option to 'save to iPhoto'.

In future when copying photos from your camera, open iPhoto and then put your memory card into your MacBook. IPhoto will then guide you through the procedure for copying your photos over. I recommend always using iPhoto for storing photos from your camera, not your hard drives picture folder. Once photos are in iPhoto they can easily be exported to your pictures folder in Finder if needed.