Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So I'm planning to get a S5 to replace my iPhone 5 and I was wondering whats the best way to transfer photos and music?

I have all my music located on iTunes and all my photos in Aperture. So far, google search hasn't really found any good viable methods.

I believe I can forgo the music because I do have a spotify subscription and unlimited data, but the photos... I'm not sure how to sync on that.

Any suggestions?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
So I'm planning to get a S5 to replace my iPhone 5 and I was wondering whats the best way to transfer photos and music?

I have all my music located on iTunes and all my photos in Aperture. So far, google search hasn't really found any good viable methods.

I believe I can forgo the music because I do have a spotify subscription and unlimited data, but the photos... I'm not sure how to sync on that.

Any suggestions?

You can export from iPhone (and presumably from Aperture as well) to a folder. From there you can import to whatevergoogleisusingthisweek for photos. It was Picasa, then it was picasaweb. More recently I think it's google+. When I had a gingerbread Android phone, all my picasaweb albums simply showed up on my device. Once I moved to JellyBean and beyond, none of my photos show up there any more. It was kind of like Photostream backwards. I notice that when I take photos on my Android devices, I get emails telling me there are "new photos available to share" but I've never bothered doing anything about it.

Other alternatives are:
1 - Dropbox - costs money if you go over a few gig
2 - Smugmug - costs money
3 - Shutterfly - free
4 - Flickr - free
5 - Snapfish (not sure of cost)

Some of these have hooks in both iOS and Android photo management capabilities. Others have apps available.

Since you are a Mac owner, I struggle with how you would expect a S5 to be a better fit than your 5S. I find the way Photostream pushes photos to my Mac and caches them there until I "get around to" importing them in iPhoto to be effortless. I like the way quite a lot of my apps share data between my Mac, iPad and iPhone via either iCloud or dropbox.

As an iPhone 5 owner (iOS 7.1.1) and Moto Razr M owner (kitkat 4.4.2), I find I have a strong preference for iOS, despite the inability to read web pages in portrait mode. I will probably be near the front of the line when a higher horizontal resolution iPhone finally comes out though I've no interest whatsoever in a device physically as huge as a Note 3.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
If you just want to transfer all the photos from your iPhone to the S5, Samsung has a "Smart Switch" app that will grab your files from an iCloud backup. I didn't have any luck with transferring messages over, but photos came over without fail.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Any suggestions?

No need to forgo your iTunes library. There are apps like AirDroid, iSyncr, and DoubleTwist that will allow you to sync your music from iTunes or just copy it from your computer to your Android device. What's even easier is using Google Play Music. The service is completely free and allows you to upload your own music library, up to 20,000 songs. You'll then have access to stream any of it to your Android (or iOS device), or download it to be locally stored, if you'd like.

Download and install the Music Manager to your computer, point it at your iTunes library and it'll upload your library and keep it synced so if you add anything to iTunes, it'll automatically be uploaded to your Google Music library. Works great.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You can export from iPhone (and presumably from Aperture as well) to a folder. From there you can import to whatevergoogleisusingthisweek for photos. It was Picasa, then it was picasaweb. More recently I think it's google+. When I had a gingerbread Android phone, all my picasaweb albums simply showed up on my device. Once I moved to JellyBean and beyond, none of my photos show up there any more. It was kind of like Photostream backwards. I notice that when I take photos on my Android devices, I get emails telling me there are "new photos available to share" but I've never bothered doing anything about it.

Other alternatives are:
1 - Dropbox - costs money if you go over a few gig
2 - Smugmug - costs money
3 - Shutterfly - free
4 - Flickr - free
5 - Snapfish (not sure of cost)

Some of these have hooks in both iOS and Android photo management capabilities. Others have apps available.

Since you are a Mac owner, I struggle with how you would expect a S5 to be a better fit than your 5S. I find the way Photostream pushes photos to my Mac and caches them there until I "get around to" importing them in iPhoto to be effortless. I like the way quite a lot of my apps share data between my Mac, iPad and iPhone via either iCloud or dropbox.

As an iPhone 5 owner (iOS 7.1.1) and Moto Razr M owner (kitkat 4.4.2), I find I have a strong preference for iOS, despite the inability to read web pages in portrait mode. I will probably be near the front of the line when a higher horizontal resolution iPhone finally comes out though I've no interest whatsoever in a device physically as huge as a Note 3.

I guess it's just a change. I do use my phone literally for messaging, calls and to check stuff like emails, Facebook, instagram, etc.

I don't store my photos on photo stream or even online. It's all local. And it is organized, so therefore I feel there would be a problem syncing on an Android for that. I guess, if worse comes to worst, I leave it not synced. Music is fine with Spotify but when I did use Google Music Manager, it doesn't sync some of my music sometimes or messes up on the Album Art and Naming. I'm not sure why.

Otherwise everything else on the phone, regardless of iOS or Android, would work equally for me.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

Any suggestions?

You can save them to you PC... And then from your PC, transfer them to your S5... You know last year , Samsung launched a software that can convert any backup into a samsung compatible one... Try finding that....

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You can save them to you PC... And then from your PC, transfer them to your S5... You know last year , Samsung launched a software that can convert any backup into a samsung compatible one... Try finding that....

That doesn't exactly help me in this situaton though... I'm looking for a way to sync music and photos, not transfer them. I don't mind starting the phone fresh and new.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
That doesn't exactly help me in this situaton though... I'm looking for a way to sync music and photos, not transfer them. I don't mind starting the phone fresh and new.

You can sync photos with iPhoto, not sure about aperture. I use android transfer to drag music/books from my macbook but thats not syncing like iTunes if that is what you are after. I mainly use google play music and rdio.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
No need to forgo your iTunes library. There are apps like AirDroid, iSyncr, and DoubleTwist that will allow you to sync your music from iTunes or just copy it from your computer to your Android device.

I use iSyncr as it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.