Transferring photos direct from iphone to disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wuddog, Sep 21, 2014.

1. wuddog macrumors newbie

My MAC is nearly full. I want to export all the photos from my iphone directly to CDs. Iphoto won't let me export directly from the phone to anything. is there any other way?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Maybe you can use image capture? I've used it to put stuff directly on USB's before, maybe that will work of disks too?

3. wuddog thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what "image capture" is. Very disappointing this is so difficult. I cannot download to the computer (Macbook Pro) and then to a disc. I just want the Macbook to be the conduit from my iPhone to the CD. Any other suggestions?

4. wwong-maui, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

wwong-maui macrumors newbie

Image Capture

Image Capture is a wonderful application included with OSX (hence located in your Applications Folder) that allows you see images from most any attached devices, select specific images and save the selection to any storage location that Finder sees. In your case, an external USB drive (writing directly to a CD/DVD would take a bit of work without CD writing software such as Toast -which is the same problem you'd have if you were trying to copy files from Finder directly to a CD). But anything you can copy to in Finder, Image Capture will do the job.

It is wonderful in that it also allows you to "map" a default image application to fire up whenever a particular device is attached... for instance, when attaching a camera, have Image Capture or even Preview automatically fire up instead of iPhoto... It also has an option to either leave or delete images that are copied from the source device.

I use this quick utility a lot as there are many images from various devices and even SD cards that I want to copy to the Mac or to attached drives that I do not want to go into iPhoto. Check it out as you already have a copy on your Mac.

5. wwong-maui macrumors newbie

Image Capture

Hmmm. After my last post, I started thinking... Can Finder burn CDs without other software? I have not tried this but according to: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13824?viewlocale=en_US
    "OS X Mavericks: Burn a CD or DVD in the Finder"

So if Finder can burn CDs it should work that Image Capture can import to a CD (with the extra step of executing the actual "burn" command before ejecting the source photo device.) I don't have an optical drive anymore to test this with Image Capture but seems like it should work. Good luck!

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

A free program that comes with your Mac that will do what you want.