Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I got a new iphone and I don't want to transfer the photos from the old one the new one. I just wanted to import them to my Macbook and then erase them from the iPhone. But such a simple thing seems to be a real headache. I have about 200 GB photos and videos there (not possible for airdrop).

I connect the Phone to Macbook. The phone appears in the Finder but instead of telling if I want to transfer photos FROM iphone it asks something like to "sync photos FROM the computer folder" which absolutely does not make sense. Why such a simple thing like import photos from iPhone to the given folder in your computer is not there ??

So I had to import them to Photos, to create a new library (not very comfortable and clever way).

Now - after I will import them, I want to erase them from the old iphone since I don't want to transfer them to the new one (via copying the content from another iphone). But how, on earth, can I select ALL photos and then erase them ?? Or shall I spend half day scrolling through all of them by endless selecting ?

Any hint welcome. Thank you ... Really user extremely unfriendly, dear Apple.

PS: and now the import to photos suddenly stop in 1/5 of all the photos, stuck there and nothing imports any more

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 17.27.02.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIs🐵

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You can’t do anything in giant leaps in iOS. A little bit at a time.
If you’ve got 10,000 pictures, you’re going to have to interact with them in groups of 100 or so to move, copy or delete.
The usability of the photos app has always been horrible and probably always will be. Accept its limitations or be frustrated forever.

Reactions: smartphonephotoworx

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
You can’t do anything in giant leaps in iOS. A little bit at a time.
If you’ve got 10,000 pictures, you’re going to have to interact with them in groups of 100 or so to move, copy or delete.
The usability of the photos app has always been horrible and probably always will be. Accept its limitations or be frustrated forever.
Any better app than this terrible Photos, or not possible to replace ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you need to delete many photos in the Photos app, you can try to go by months and then select > select all. While not perfect you at least can kill a month at the time.

Reactions: smartphonephotoworx

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
They probably made deliberate decision to not be able to delete all photos at once to save those who may accidentally kill all their precious memories without backup.

My guess, of course.

Reactions: smoking monkey

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Ok, but now the main question and problem is - how, on earth, I can transfer the photos from iphone to the computer ?? In some normal way ?

Reactions: ediks

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
They probably made deliberate decision to not be able to delete all photos at once to save those who may accidentally kill all their precious memories without backup.

My guess, of course.
Even if you delete, it is only in the trash, not deleted forever

Reactions: Taz Mangus

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
You did it the hard way. Next time select the photos on the phone and share to Files. It'll create an archive of all selected photos which then you can airdrop to your Mac.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
You did it the hard way. Next time select the photos on the phone and share to Files. It'll create an archive of all selected photos which then you can airdrop to your Mac.
But how can you select 5000 photos if you have to scroll 1000 times ?

In a normal world there is a folder and sub folders, you can see the content and you can copy, drag and transfer it wherever you like. Apple wants to be special - to make things 100 times more complicated.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
But how can you select 5000 photos if you have to scroll 1000 times ?
Was the select and drag not working for you? I have no issues selecting the oldest photo and dragging down to the most recent. It'll just take a minute or so as it automatically scrolls through them. But no scrolling necessary on your part.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Was the select and drag not working for you? I have no issues selecting the oldest photo and dragging down to the most recent. It'll just take a minute or so as it automatically scrolls through them. But no scrolling necessary on your part.
It's working but the drag journey if you have 5000 photos may last forever (with finger there and the content slowly coming up or down). Select all - is a kind elementary function everywhere else ?

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I'm not going to argue with you there. No doubt I would find that option convenient as well. I was only saying that your initial solution of syncing via Finder isn't the best option.
I am still before the process itself. It was hopeless and I had to transfer things from iphone 11 to iphone 13 which is happening now. After I do this I have still to find a way how to get the photos to the computer from there. When connected to Photos on Mac - "preparing to import" seems to be stuck there for the next few centuries ... And we tried another iphone and another computer (Macbook Pro M1 Max). The same.

ThisIs🐵

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2021
Yeah, importing to Photos library from iPhone is a nightmare if you have more than 1,000 photos.
It’s a total disaster.
I hope some day they will have enough money to fix it.

Reactions: Harthag and Cptkent

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Yeah, importing to Photos library from iPhone is a nightmare if you have more than 1,000 photos.
It’s a total disaster.
I hope some day they will have enough money to fix it.
Yes, this is beyond awful and quite hopeless it seems

Reactions: ThisIs🐵

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I've never used anything else. You can copy the photos and delete them - no hassle.
Well, does not seems so (connecting iphone 13 Pro Max to Macbook Air M1)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 21.32.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 21.32.55.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.