Transferring photos from old mac to new mac in iPhoto...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrMan112, Jun 18, 2007.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

I just picked up a MBP and have been transferring files from my old PowerBook G4 to the new Mac. I used the Migration Assistant to transfer applications. For some reason, I couldn't get my files over with the utility.

For my music (iTunes) and photos (iPhoto), I imported music/images to the Library from the old hard drive. This went very smoothly for iTunes. However, for iPhoto, i was a mess. The ordering of photos was incorrect, there were many duplicates. Obviously, deleted photos were back as well as photos where revisions were made. Also, alot of duplicates were smaller versions of the originals.

For iPhoto, I clicked "Import to Library" and selected the "iPhoto Library" folder, and let it go. I just want the photos and albums I had on my old mac organized in the manner that I had there.

I would appreciated any thoughts.

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I would have just copied the entire iPhoto folder from one mac to the other, then when you open iPhoto it should look exactly as it did on your old mac

3. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly what I did, and what I described above was the result.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, I mean completely avoid using the import feature in iPhoto.

Copy the entire iPhoto Library folder into Pictures directory. Open up iPhoto, it'll give you the option to Create new library or Choose library (if this doesn't happen then hold down option when launching iPhoto).

Select Choose Library and direct it to the iPhoto Library folder that you just copied over.

5. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

That was embarassingly easy to do.
    Thanks alot!!!

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No problem.