Transferring photos taken with iPhone to Windows XP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, May 30, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Ughhhh I'm getting really frustrated. I plug in my iPhone and open up my computer and try to copy the pictures to a folder, but when it copes, a picture of Paint Shop Pro comes up instead of the actual picture and then there is no preview.

And then I tried going to All Programs>Accessories>Camera and Scanner Wizard and things were going fine except after EVERY picture it would tell me that there is an error with the picture and I can skip it or retry. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong....

This is really getting on my nerves, can anyone help please?

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I need a little more info...What type of photo software do you have on your system? I am using Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Adobe Elements and others. Once you give me an idea, then I can help you

Also...to change a setting, right click on a photo already on your system, click open with and see what options you have available. Select the "Choose Program" option. If you have a photo program select it, if not select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" and Check Mark the box at the bottom that states "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." This will stop Paint from opening your pictures.

Hope this helps so far.

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

what type of format are the pictures in? Are they pictures that came from a digital camera? what program are you using to upload them to your computer...

4. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much AFC Archer!! You solved my problem lol, that's exactly what I was trying to do, but didn't know what program to associate my pictures with. I chose what you recommended and it worked.

Thank you, now all my pictures are on my comp ready to be put back onto the 3G iPhone lol.

Lindsayanng, thanks for replying.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

6. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't want to start a new thread so I decided to ask in here.

When I get rid of my iPhone, all I need to do is back it up to iTunes and then restore it? Also, will I have Google Maps bookmarks saved to iTunes?

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Everything you have now will always back up and will restore to another iPhone...to include version 2. Only Notes and Pictures will not back-up/restore for windows users using non-hacked phones. Just insure that you always sync before changing phones/sim cards and you will be good to go.

You also "may" have to reset up your wifi settings on the new phone but that is it.

8. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks, last question I promise.

When I hook up my iPhone, all of the boxes under the Info section are unchecked (Calendar, Mail, Calendars, Bookmarks). If I check the Contacts box, do the contacts on my iPhone go into Outlook or Yahoo Address Book? Or is it just that whatever contacts are in those programs sync to the iPhone.

9. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

When you select the "Contacts" another choice will present itself. At that point you can choose where your contacts go as you stated above. Personally I use Outlook since that seems to be the best XP option and with the release of enterprise coming next month, we "Should" be able to sync the email sevices etc. to your iPhone. I have not used the Yahoo option.

Once you select outlook...then yes all of your contacts will transfer to contacts and any contacts you already have will sync to your iPhone. If you have contacts on both it will ask if you want to merge, or select iphone or outlook contacts to sync. I recommend Merge and then if you have duplicates of an address just delete one and it will reflect on the other. My office is 2003 so if you are using 07 and have problems, then I can only help you troubleshoot it as I do not have that version.

Hope that helps.

10. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Daaaaamn you're good lol and lastly (I know I promised before lol)

Lets say I back up my phone and then restore it, will the back up still be on the comp when I restore it? Basically, what does the restore do and should I do it when I sell my phone (with hopefully having all things backed up to iTunes still)

11. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

The back up will always remain on your computer and be accessable as long as your account with iTunes remains the same. iTunes is the tunel between your computer and your iPhone. All your files are data files so you you will not really see them anywhere nor will you have external access. Your iPhone and iTunes account are what is tied together with account name, ime number and cell number.

A restore just does that...it restores your iPhone to its factory condition and when you transfer to a new phone it will ask do you want a full restore or use a previous backup. Based on your choice is what will happen when you get your new iPhone.

Before you sell your current iPhone you will want to do a factory restore and do not restore from a previous backup (remember that even though you do a factory restore it just resets the drive it does not overwrite it, there are those that can still access that data with recovery software so insure you know who you are selling to and keep their info on file for a year or so for protection against ID theft). Then when you get your new iPhone you will be asked to activate it...just type your same phone number in and it will activate...then do the restore from previous sync and all of your data that I stated before will be put back on your system.

The only thing that I am unsure of is that with a new iPhone, 2.0 software being released at the same time may cause you to have to reset all of your email, password and wifi settings...however, as stated before all of your music, contacts, videos and calender events will restore base on you using the same iTunes account and outlook account.