Transferring Printer Driver to Ext Boot Disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garycurtis, Oct 23, 2013.

1. garycurtis, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

garycurtis macrumors 6502

Where do I find the printer driver so I can drag and drop the file(s) to an external boot drive? I'm using OS Mavericks.

I'm hoping this can be done without an installation process. It will mean a 40 minute phone call to the Brother help people.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Have you tried just turning it on when booted with the external? I know when I turned my printer on after upgrading a pop-up dialog appeared asking if I would like to install the driver for it. Another idea can be using something like Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing install to the external then the driver will be there.

3. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

The external drive has OS Mountain Lion. Copied over using CCC.

I had the printer turned on when I booted, and I got a message that the printer needs a driver. It worked wirelessly in the past from the Ext. HD. And works flawlessly in WiFi mode when I boot from the main HD (OS 10.9).

In ML, I used to know where these drivers lived. But even holding the option Key while navigating to the GO pull-down, and clicking on Library doesn't reveal anything I can recognize.

Thanks