Transferring Purchases when Backing Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iSkipper, Feb 6, 2015.

1. iSkipper macrumors newbie

As the subject title states I've noticed that every time I conduct a backup from my 6 plus to my iMac from iTunes I receive this pop up message from iTunes telling me I have purchases that have not been stored in my iTunes library and would I like to transfer them. The catch is this pop up message is occurring everytime I click on backup even after I've already accepted the request. Would I have apps on my phone that are just not syncing hence the re-occurring message? The only problem with that is I don't know what apps if any it is wanting to transfer/sync? This message is not occurring on my iPad or my wife's devices only my iPhone 6 plus.

2. iSkipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anybody help me with my above dilemma? Anybody?

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

From iTunes, click the Store menu then Check for Available Downloads. If that doesn't help, is it possible that you have two Apple IDs?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you watch iTunes it should say which apps it is transferring, is it the same one(s)?

Bear in mind if you update an app on the iPhone that will count as one that needs transferring to iTunes I think, so it could just be your app update and backup sequence that causes the message in connection with the iPhone and not the other iDevices.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

when you see transferring purchases when you back up, what you are seeing is it is taking any apps , media like tv shows and movies from the iPhone to iTunes.
    this is normal

also in addition to that, it is also updating all your apps that are in your iTunes library with software updates that you ran on the iPhone

anytime you have an app , like say Facebook, and you update to the latest Facebook version, iTunes will say "transferring purchases" when it is updating your old copy of Facebook in your iTunes library, with the newer copy that you downloaded on your phone

apple has automatic downloads. if you buy Facebook on your iPhone, a copy gets downloaded on iTunes as well, but iTunes does not automatically download new updates. if you do not run software updates manually in iTunes, then iTunes will get the new software versions the next time the iPhone backs up

i had an issue that i had to run a back up and do a transfer purchases as a separate step. I'm not sure if that was a bug in iOS 8.1.2 and now i am on 8.1.3 it stopped, i dunno.

if you do not transfer the software updates, then whenever you restore the iPhone from your iTunes backup, your going to have to manually download all those software updates from the iPhone app store all over again.

6. iSkipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Transferring Purchases when Backing Up

Yes! We have two Apple ID's, one for my 2 devices and another for my wife's 2 devices but it's never been an issue an our old iPhone 4's.
    And my wife's iPhone is not asking to transfer when I click on backup, only my phone.

----------

So......if I downloaded Facebook using my Apple ID from my iPhone and there is already a copy of it in my library that has my wife's Apple ID attached too it would this cause the problem?

7. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yep, this happened to me. Wife bought an app, I downloaded it via Home Sharing, I had to update it with her Apple ID (which was a pain). However, that hasn't happened to me in a long time so I'm thinking Apple must have resolved that. Or, maybe I bought the app myself to avoid the issue (can't remember!).