Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agrats84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I used Quicken '07 on my XP and am now trying to export it to my new iMac with Quicken '07. Under export (in Windows) I choose all of my accounts and check the box for "Macintosh Users". Then when I go to import my data on my Mac, it can't read it. Have you had the same problems? This is a major dilemma because I need all of my past "history".

I read somewhere that there is a "Web Connect" option to import the data from my online bank but I do not want to do this.

Isn't there a way just to export and import the same data without using the internet?!!

ToneMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I feel your pain, I really do

Go to the Quicken support site and search. You should come up with a 5 page (!) PDF describing how to do this. It is MAJOR pain.

First, you have to manually truncate each of your account names to 15 or fewer characters before exporting. How freakin' BRAIN DEAD is that!

Then export to QIF in three different passes (accounts, transactions, categories). Oh, do make sure that you explicity select All Accounts from the drop-down on EACH pass because Quicken is too freakin' brain dead to make All Accounts the default choice. If you so much as flinch, Quicken will select only the first account in the list.

I don't get why a company that can read their competitor's tax data files cannot come up with a conversion utility to re-use their own data files on other platforms. This export-import deal is pure developer BS ("let's just document the conversion process rather than fix the product").

Bottom line, I've had more hassles migrating Quicken from the PC to the Mac than ALL OTHER ISSUES combined. Took me an hour and half to do the export-import.

Here's the punch line: my account balances are still all screwed up. I'll probably limp along for the rest of this year, then start over with a new Quicken data file in January.

IMHO Quicken 2007 Mac is a steaming pile of <YOUR-FAVORITE-ANIMAL-HERE> excrement. I guess they know that there's no real alternative on the Mac.

BTW, I'm not exactly a newbie at software or accounting (I write software manuals and used to be a licensed tax preparer).

I used Quicken '07 on my XP and am now trying to export it to my new iMac with Quicken '07. Under export (in Windows) I choose all of my accounts and check the box for "Macintosh Users". Then when I go to import my data on my Mac, it can't read it. Have you had the same problems? This is a major dilemma because I need all of my past "history".

I read somewhere that there is a "Web Connect" option to import the data from my online bank but I do not want to do this.

Isn't there a way just to export and import the same data without using the internet?!!

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Good to know. Glad I usually do mine at work. Guess I won't bother getting the Mac version of Quicken.

Sounds like it might be better to use Bootcamp or Fusion and run the Windows version on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.